Norcal Volvos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy.

3 posters

Go down

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. Empty ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy.

Post by benwah245 Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Got a 122 about a month ago. Was a CL score out of Santa Cruz. Its a cared for 67 w/ a blown engine a new rebuilt 2.2L B20 on the side. Got a new M41 w/ J-type OD. Lots of good stuff on this one. Thus far I've managed to gut out the insides and start working on some rusted floor pans. Starting to replace all the seals and get it weather proof again. Nothing all that notable has happened on my end. Still waiting for some nice weekend that aren't too busy. Hopefully the engine swap will be underway in the next few weeks. Anyways... I'll post more as it gets more interesting. I envision a classic rally ride, w/ some humble upgrades... nothing off the charts. Some friends of mine are in the Alfa scene and rally Guilias... figure I'll slip in and see what happens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14386738@N06/3279633735/sizes/l/in/set-72157613767141385/

Last edited by benwah245 on Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
benwah245
benwah245

http://danielbenoit.net

Back to top Go down

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. Empty Re: ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy.

Post by aka-turbo Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Looks like a nice find, cleaner body than mine anyway. Good luck with it.

aka-turbo

Back to top Go down

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. Empty Re: ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy.

Post by Codum Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Sweet find, enjoy
Codum
Codum

Back to top Go down

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. Empty 122 progress

Post by benwah245 Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Stopped pussy footing around this weekend and really dug in. Worked on the floor, Pulled the engine... cleaned things up. I started paying attention to the replacement motor and found an unexpected surprise. Undid the oil plug and water comes gushing out... about a half gallon of water and a half gallon of oil. Wonderful. Didn't get that detail in the sale. I tore the whole thing down and am suddenly more excited than I was prior. The oxidation was minimal inside... it must have not had water in it for too long. Looks like all vitals are in good shape still. No reason it shouldn't run... eventually. If anyone has any guidance or tips, or anything like that let me know. One thing I'm looking for is a good machine shop to dial in the head for me. Any leads?

I've got a lot of folks helping me out. I'm about as amateur as it gets honestly. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this. I've got access to a beautiful machine shop and a ton of engineers. Hopefully it all serves me well and I stay as stoked on this as I am right now. Right then... more shots here
/http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspired_by/3419059849/in/photostream/

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 34190511
ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 34190610
ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 34190611
ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 34198710
rad.
benwah245
benwah245

Back to top Go down

Post by Codum Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:52 pm

SUper cool, wish i could be there to see how things go .

Keep up the steady work
Codum
Codum

Back to top Go down

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. Empty ultra-storation deuce.

Post by benwah245 Sun May 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Finally got around to vehicle for another weekend of work. Really I'm walking away a little less than stoked on overall progress. Just seems to be moving nowhere quickly. I'm definitely 10 steps ahead of myself and am finding that relying on other folks for guidance doesn't really get things done. Thought I was going to assemble the engine this weekend but it didn't work out. I ended up rolling on a rat-rod two tone roof to keep the rust at bay. Was going to prep the engine bay w/ new paint and what not... opted out after pondering it for awhile. So I started working on the floor pans and making some flanges for the exhaust. Exhaust was one piece and needed to get the header off to take the engine out... instead of welding it back together figured I'd take advantage of some of the equipment I have access to. Pictures below. I think the only successful thing I did honestly was add brake fluid which in return resulted in brakes that work... word.

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3520758220_e1bfc55afd
ratrod two tone. doesn't look half bad aside from brush marks and roller texture. anyone feel like sanding?

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3519947641_7e8f6d7006

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3520760666_d0379a31d6

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3519950011_23bbc22745
gotta love the water-jet. exhaust flange compliments of a buddy who knows Solidworks.

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3519951665_17e34c0252
first ever attempt at floor plan repair. now i just need to learn how to weld.

ULTRA-STORATION... giving a project a new name for some new energy. 3519952371_9f0a037b6f
back of 245 is just always full of shit for this volvo. i bet if i took it all out during the week i'd save a few bucks in gas... ah well... keeps me kinda motivated and frustrated all at once. little view of a cardboard box speaker box... an interim holder until i finish the mold for a fiberglass panel for the rear hatch on the 245 that'll take 6.5's and other larger speakers. in the works.

If anyone is a B20 guru (or just more experienced in general) I'd be stoked for some good words about how hearty these engines are and how I really can't screw things up too bad as long as I keep stuff clean (Whether or not its true). First build ever so I'm pretty timid as far as reassembling the engine and having things go right. alright then. word to all.
(really trying to stoke myself out I'm still looking at craigslist {cause I have that bug} and have seen a few 1000 dollar runners... all of which seem greater than mine)
benwah245
benwah245

Back to top Go down

Post by Codum Tue May 12, 2009 12:11 am

Solidworks is still alien to me. I know Pro Engineer, which is a modeling program as well, still no help there. Also if you need welding I've got about half a year under my belt.

That sounds cool what you've got goin' on for the speakers in the rear.
Codum
Codum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down